Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I bought a Moreau lamp with No 71807 are the 0 could be a 6

Customer Question
and letters BS are the...
I bought a Moreau lamp with No 71807 are the 0 could be a 6 and letters BS are the s could be 5
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
8/9/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
I tried to send a picture to the phone no. I seen on the page
For adding photos here:
~Nora
Thank you for the image.
At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus image of her face, the Moreau signature on this, the number marks you mention and a close-up of the electrical cord end that plugs into the wall.
~Nora
There is not a signature of the artist anywhere on the piece that I could find but there are some painted numbers inside and the cord looks to be the same as some other pieces that I have looked at.
Was this sold to you as a Moreau?
~Nora
it was
It seems that someone has repainted the piece. I found no makers mark and if there is a signature then it may be covered by the paint it was touched up with.
An original Moreau would have the signature impressioned into the surface and paint would not hide nor disguise it.
Please send requested images at your convenience.
Thank you,
Nora
If you say the paint will not cover the signature then it is not what I thought it to be. Thank you very much for you time.
I can be more definite about what you have if I can see more images.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
When I bought it I looked it up and it looked like a Moreau lamp but I was not told it was would you know anything about it I tried sending more pic but my comp stopped sending.it just had the numbers painted inside under base 71867-BS
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur