Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

WATERCOLOUR PAINTING ON VELLUM Details: The painting is in

Customer Question

WATERCOLOUR PAINTING ON VELLUM Details: The painting is in an unsigned watercolour on vellum stock which is translucent from the reverse with slight foxing to the sky. It has been re-mounted at some stage with a modern mount and frame. A previous owner
has tried to identify the artist and written in pencil his conclusion on the back of the painting (looks like F. Lomet 1754 or F. Lornet 1754), although he qualifies it with a question mark. The painting measures 9.5 inches x 7 inches. I have studied Joseph
Mallord ***** ***** (1775–1851) in depth and when I found this watercolour it reminded me of his history both artistically and his early life. Probably getting over enthusiastic I have attributed several areas of his early life to this painting. His uncle
was a butcher and sold his work from his shop (vellum), he was employed to by an architect to paint old buildings of historic interest in his local area, he associated the human form to the areas that he painted and the watercolour demonstrates an early understanding
of light and shade. I am also aware that he never signed any of his work in his early years which makes this an interesting piece and worth investigating.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the notes and images. I see you have spent a great deal of time on this. I will see what I can find for you.
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim, did you have any luck with this one?
Tom
Tom I looked at a large body of Turner's watercolors and did not find any on vellum. Also the technique and style of yours does not match his work. I also looked for an artist by any of the names you gave (F. Lomet 1754 or F. Lornet 1754). I will opt-out and let another expert look at this for you.
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tim, I thought that this one would be a tough one, but thank you for your help.Tom