Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

An antique walking stick with a carved Ivory fist on it and

Customer Question

an antique walking stick with a carved Ivory fist on it and a plaque that reads" Martin Van Buren T.P.U.S to sir McDuffie Burke"
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more clear in=focus photos.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will send you all I have I don't know how much clearer they are
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
In general, antique 19th century ivory fist top walking sticks sell for an average of $200 - $300 at auction. Yours being a presentation piece from a President of the US, increases the sale value to $800 - $1200 on today’s market.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea where you got your information from but I don't think it is correct,have seen them for quite a bit more and auction houses that told me it would go for more at auction, thank you for you help
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I use an aggregate database of past auction records called worthpoint.com as well as various other sources that show actual sale prices of comparables. Actual sale prices and asking prices, prior to sale, can vary greatly. Th estimate I provided is based on an average of actual sale prices from recent auctions.
You are welcome to send me a link to a comparable auction sale of a walking stick so that I may help weigh in for you.
Here is a link for you to the highest auction sale record I have in my database of an ivory fist top walking stick that sold for $1062 against a $600 - $800 estimate during the height of the antique market.
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/carved-walrus-ivory-fist-form-handles-walking
Sincerely,
Nora