Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

My parents bought an old farmhouse. In one of the cubbies upstairs

Customer Question
she found a ink sketching...
My parents bought an old farmhouse. In one of the cubbies upstairs she found a ink sketching , on the back in pencil it says 1881 oaks of Sherwood forest and a signature of r s chattock. We are curious about this. Along with some other very interesting things she found but mostly this. She loves this picture. It's on paper not canvas and I do have photos I took of it. It's not numbered at all, and you can tell the paper is old, if anything, if it is worth something my mom would like to get it appaised somewhere, either through you or someone here in minnesota, thank you for your time
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
7/26/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
You have an antique 19th century etched print by Richard Samuel Chattock (Solihull, England, 1825 - 1906). It is monogrammed and dated in-plate in the lower left corner, R.S.C. 1881. On the verso, or backside, the title and name of the artist is written in pencil “Oaks of Sherwood Forest R.S. Chattock”.
On today’s market, your original Oaks of Sherwood Forest etched print by Chattock would retail for as high as $265 in a dealer shop. If you were to sell this on your own, it can reach a possible high of $120. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $325.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Nora
Nora