How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doris Your Own Question
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Category: Antiques
Satisfied Customers: 9627
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Type Your Antiques Question Here...
Doris is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cup and saucer made from Royal Adderley fine bone

Customer Question

I have a cup and saucer made from Royal Adderley fine bone china England in a beautiful color orange with gold plated its from Ridgway Potteries LTD. 1789 it has number engraved 1789 with a n England crown.. It also has a marked number 101323 don't know if it has any value
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
May I have two photos -
One of the cup
One of the marks on the bottom
You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or paper clip you see on your reply page.
If none is there, then you may use the free internet photo site Use the following instructions:
Go to
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Doris was wondering if you have received the 2 pictures?
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Not yet. Please try again.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pics added
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for all the information and photos.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
The marks on your cup and saucer show that the set was made after the merger of Ridgway Potteries Ltd. and Royal Adderley (which can trace its history back to 1789) and dates your set 1962-1964 by the Staffordshire, UK, factory.
The "style/pattern" - 101323 - is described as a scalloped edged cup and saucer with gilded trim and foot and a French loop handle.
My research found that a retail vintage store would price your set $50-70 assuming good condition. The price range is wide because of the difference the sizes of cities it is sold in. Large city shops like those in NYC would charge the higher price.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the dish with no trademark
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Is there an additional plate besides the saucer?
A set is best described by the shape and style of the cup. That is why I describe the cup in detail.
The saucer, marked or not, is original to the pair.
My assessment includes both cup and saucer.
Again, do you have another plate that matches?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is a pair
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Then are you saying you have three pieces - cup, saucer and a plate?
If you have an additional plate, please send me the diameter.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know how many pieces you have so that I can complete your question.
Kind regards,