Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

Chinese armorial royal crest platter

Customer Question

Chinese armorial royal crest platter
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your armorial platter.Thanks for the photo. Could you attach a close-up of the mark on the back so I can read it.Also, what are the dimensions of the piece?Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert. Sorry, I did not know I had to check my account. Just was waiting for a Email... Its 15in by 10 in by 2in deep. It has to 2 Red marks. The bigger is maker I am sure. Sincerely, Cheryl
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cheryl,Thanks for getting back to me and no problem about the delay, nothing was spoiling my end.The picture of the mark is really helpful, I can see exactly what you have now.This is an example of vintage reproduction Chinese export armorial porcelain that dates to the Cultural Revolution era, circa 1960s - 1970s.It's stamped with a Qianlong emperor reign mark. Transcribing the writing -which is an archaic seal script known as zhuanshu- into traditional Chinese kaishu characters (in columns from top to bottom, starting with the right hand column) it reads:大清乾隆年製or "Da Qing Qian-Long Nian Zhi" which translates as "made in the reign of Emperor Qianlong of the great Qing dynasty". The Qianlong period was 1736 - 1795, but as I say this is not of the period.This was a type of seal that was engraved by carving and stamped, rather than hand painted with a brush, and the style of the characters varies quite a bit. These tiny variations help date the mark. The particular variations in this example point to a third quarter 20th century date; for instance the way that the left radical 車 chē of 乾of Qian is written.The small red rectangle with the numbers written in a western form also bear this out. These were internal codes used by the Jingdezhen factories where this porcelain was made. As for value, these Cultural Revolution era export wares are creeping up a little in response to the current strong demand for antique Chinese porcelain, but are still way off the value of items made pre-1949, when Chairman Mao assumed power, and decreed that all antiques be handed over to the government or destroyed because they were symbols and reminders of capitalist/imperialist culture and at odds with the extreme Communist ideals of the time.If you were to see your platter for sale in an antique/vintage store, it would have a full retail value of around $100. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.Expect to get in the range of 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).I do hope this helps!Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.Best wishes,Robert