Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

What is the value of a bronze sculpture THE STAR dated 1918

Customer Question

What is the value of a bronze sculpture THE STAR dated 1918 by Harriet Whitney Frishmuth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. What is the size? At your convenience, please send photos. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely, Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Easy to find on line. It's called THE STAR by Harriet W. Frishmuth 1918, at top of self-base. Bronze mounted on a square marble plinth, 18 3/4 in high without plinth. Diameter of self-base 4 in. It is in very good condition.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you.Please allow me some time to research, find current values and write my answer.Kind regards,Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Harriet Frishmuth (1880-1980)"Born in Philadelphia, Harriet Frishmuth became one of the ground-breaking female sculptors in the early 20th century.She had a strong academic training, going to Switzerland as a young person with her family and receiving education there. At age 19, she moved to Paris where she studied with Auguste Rodin. Returning to the United States, she studied in New York City at the Art Students League in New York and at the College of Physicians, where she learned dissection.From 1913, she lived and worked in New York City at 152 E 36th Street in a stable she and her mother converted to dwellings, now an historical landmark. Some of her models danced to victrola music so she could capture lightening movement."When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered. There was one of The Star bronzes by Harriet Frishmuth on the Antiques Roadshow in 2011. A representative of Skinner, Inc. appraised it at $20,000 as insurance replacement value. This may have seen the example you saw online.However, I found the following values in 2015 auctions for similar work by Frishmutin.There was one monumental one measuring 52" that sold for $185,000.A better comparative set of values came from similar sculptures that were more the size of your 18.75" mounted bronze.The average auction value of these was $17,813.A retail art gallery usually doubles at least the auction sales price. This means The Star bronze has a estimated 2015 retail value of $35,600.A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.I hope I have helped you.If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.Kind regards.Doris