Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Have pieces of Japanese China reported to be 200yrs+, markings

Customer Question
r reported to be as...
Have pieces of Japanese China reported to be 200yrs+, markings r reported to be as follows: Great,Japan,Peace and marking for unknown county. China is relatively colorless, hand painted, more Charcoal sketch like pictures of landscape water, mountain, treeswith very little muted tan... Rims to China is a thin ribbon of a gold cars of red and black intermittently. Some of the dishes also have birds painted on the underside and pine tree which cannot be seen unless viewed on bottom of China ... Got any ideas for production period or producer?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
7/16/2015
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Japanese porcelain.Thanks for the detailed description, however to be of best help to you I'll need to see photos.Go ahead and attach them here at your leisure, there's no time limit, your question will remain open for as long as you wish.If you'd like help attaching the images, let me know. If you already have the photos in your computer all you need to do is to click on the paperclip icon in the bar where you are typing to me.Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Robert We sent the files or photos thru the help or support email address thanks Vicki
Hi Vicki,Thanks for sending the photos. This is just a quick note to let you know they've been forwarded to me and I'll have an answer for you as soon as possible.Robert
Hi Vicki,
This is wonderful old Japanese porcelain. Some of the best I've seen from this maker.
It dates to the last quarter of the 1800s, round about the 1880s, right in the middle of the Meiji reign of "Nippon" era Japan. The porcelain is all beautifully and meticulously decorated by hand, with delightful attention to detail. I particularly like the small songbirds flitting through the sky like autumn leaves, and the fact that they are repeated underneath (that only the washer staff in the pantry would ever get to enjoy!) is a wonderful touch that only this particular decorator, one of the pre-eminent Japanese porcelain names of the day, would dream up.
The name of the decorator studio is Imura (sometimes written Imamura).
It was founded by a man called Imura, Hikojiro in about 1875, located in the city of Yokohama where it prospered under his great artistic guidance until the catastrophic Kanto earthquake in 1923 that destroyed Yokohama.
Each piece is marked on the base as follows:
Right column:
大日本
"Dai Nihon" or "great Japan"
Left column:
井村造
"Imura zo" or "Imura made"
The lozenge device at the top with the crossed corners is called an "igeta" and is the Imura "kamon" or family crest.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_Crest_Igeta.png
The porcelain blanks were obtained elsewhere (most imported from the Seto kilns in the south) and the polychrome enamel decoration is a mixture of Kutani overglaze painting (particularly the kinrand-e rims) and a popular Chinese style of the time called "qianjiang" -landscapes painted in umber or grisaille heightened with just enough color not to detract from the draftsmanship.
As for value, this porcelain is rare and highly collectible both here and in Japan.
I'm not quite sure what your set consists of in its entirety but going through what you've photographed, here are the value ranges you'd get at auction or if you sold on-line:
One dinner plate..................$200 - $300 each
One soup plate....................$200 - $300 each
Covered tureen wi underplate......$500 - $800
Compote with pedestal base........$250 - $350
Large oval platter................$300 - $500
The covered tureen has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store) of $1600 and is what you should insure it for.
Each of the other pieces has a replacement value about three times the low estimate of the auction value and is what you should insure them for.
I do hope this helps!
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.
Best wishes,
Robert
Robert S.
Robert S.