Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a compass verifier that dates

Customer Question
back to the late 1800's...
I have a compass verifier that dates back to the late 1800's it's in GREAT shape... It was our grandfathers .. He Collected navigational tools.. Sextants, clinometer, ect.. He was a clock / watch maker from Sweden.. He would uses these tools very day.. I have pages of his daily readings.. The dial faces on the compass verifier say..dial protected by patent No.1397..Glasgow Greenock Liverpool London... On the side it reads Clinometer .. It is covered by a brass dome remove able cover.. It all so reads on the face.. Honi Soit Qui Amal Y Pense adieu Et Mon Droit.. Best I can tell that means ( Shame to Him who Thinks Evil of it)
D.M. Gregor & Co., Patentees & Manufacturers of the Compass Verifier the latest & Best Invention for Ascertaining the Campass Errors of Iron Vessels..advertisement June 3 rd 1876 .. Thank you for any information on the compass verifier
Leesa XXXXXXXXX
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Need more pictures???
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/14/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send more photos. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
I found a picture of one at compass museums..then under The D.M. Gregor they have one for a ship that they are trying to restore...
Thank you for the information.
I have not found a sale record to an exact match to your compass verifier by M'Gregor.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~OR~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional fee.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Hi~
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur