Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I need to sell an oil painting given to me by my mother and

Customer Question

I need to sell an oil painting given to me by my mother and am looking for an appraisal that confirms the artist. Unfortunately I need to sell the oil painting today due to extreme financial hardship. Therefore I need an expert to confirm my research findings and give me an approximate value today. I believe the painting was done by a British artist named Robert ***** *****on, Jr. My mothers grandparents both came to America from England and the oil painting has been in the family for well over 100 years. ***** *****on lived from 1852-1925. He is much more well known for his portraits than his landscapes. However, a few of his landscapes have sold at auction recently. Several of his paintings have recently sold at auction for between $800.00 and $3579.00. My mother had the painting reframed approx. 15 years ago to prevent further cigarette smoke damage as my father was a chain smoker. The Painting is 20 inches long by 16" wide. I removed it from it's unimpressive frame to photograph it. I believe a good professional cleaning might be all it needs as far as restoration is concerned. There are no tears or holes in the canvas which is nailed to the original frame used by the artist. I am not an expert in oil paintings, but I have been dealing in antiques for over 35 years, so I know enough that I believe my research is accurate and that the painting is authentic. His work is not valuable enough to merit forgeries and I can remember the painting being on my grandmothers wall since I was a very little girl.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please be aware that I need this information ASAP. I tried to check that option when completing the sign up process and was unable to do so.Thank you very much for your time and consideration!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE: I changed my email address since the last time I used your service. My correct email address is:***@******.***
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
I most often do not accept phone call requests. My phone number is ***** Phone calls cost you extra per Just Answer chsrges.
I have researched Robert ***** *****on and can solve your problem without a phone call.
After I give my answer and your are not satisfied, please let me know.
Please allow me time to complete my research, calculate values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Doris,
I did mention twice in my initial request that I needed an answer ASAP. I do understand that you need time to give me an accurate response, however I am curious why the initial individual that the web site indicated was handling my request,( who is the president of the National Antique Appraisal Society), is not the person now taking care of this matter. I submitted this request 3 hours ago and am just now receiving your response that you need more time. Could you please make this a high priority. I still need to sell the painting this afternoon to gather the balance of funds needed to prevent a foreclosure on my home tomorrow. I understand this is not your problem and apologize for the rush request. I hope you understand. I have already done a lot of the research,( identified the artist, and a range of amounts his paintings have realized at auction), and am hoping this expedites processing my request. I will quit whining now so you can get to work. Thanks!Melanie (Mel) Riebe
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
All auction tell me that your painting should sell at auction for $640. A retail price would the be $1080.
His portraits sell much, much higher.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
No dealers are listed where you can sell your painting by tomorrow.
You could try am online auction and iist at a low price for sale by tomorrow. I do not know what else to say.
I just saw you request to sell by tomorrow. I had already written my answer.
Try Craig's list or see if a antiques dealer in your town will buy by tomorrow.
I am s sorry you have such an emergency.
Kind regards.
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Please reread my answer. I revised it after I read your information about your extreme emergency in your last reply.
I am am sorry it took so long for someone to answer your question.
No other expert had taken it and I had just turned on my computer when I saw it.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Doris,
I was looking to receive a confirmation that RE Morrison is indeed the artist. I was also expecting you to narrow down the price spread as(###) ###-####is a broad range. Can you do this?
I know what to expect from a dealer regarding percentages of retail amounts.Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My initial request asked for confirmation that my research is accurate and an approximate auction value.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I do not know where the $800-$3579 came from. It must have been in a previous answer.
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.
I research 15 auctions for Robett Edwards Morrison. It is indeed Robert ***** *****on and I found his portraits sell for astronomical values compared to his landscapes.
Taking prices per square inch, the auction/wholesale estimate would be $640.
This means the retail value would be $1080.
I wish you the best! I am so sorry you have this emergency. I wish you had more time.
Kind regards,
Doris