Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have 4 dickens caricature paintings that seem to be

Customer Question

hello, i have 4 dickens caricature paintings that seem to be original waterpaintings i did a little research online and the same exact ones pop up as joseph clayton clarke signed (kyd) the thing is mine happen to have a signature but rather then saying kyd it seems to be in Japanese or Chinese. there is an antiques dealer upstairs where i work and he says the artwork itself seems to be originals because or the waterpaint and age of the actual paper but he also doesnt know about the signature. i can tak photos to send to you the questions that id like answered would be
1. the value of the pieces
2. if they do have value where would i be able to sell them.
3. who is the artist
Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately we had to take one out of the frame to see if there were additional writings which there were. The photos show the writings and signature from the opened one and a photo of the still sealed painting.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi , Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
At your convenience, please just send clear, in-focus images of the signature on all of these.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Nora, here is what you asked, all four character, then signatures that seem to be an Asian writing style in red ink, lastly the additional writing on the bottom of the paper. I can tell that on the bottom of the left hand side it is the name of the character and on the right hand side I can't make out what it says. Note: three are still in frame so it it hard to get an extremely clear photo so hopefully this helps.
Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I am not able to make a signature match to a known, listed artist.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~OR~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional fee.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Nora, I'll go with what you think is best but if we can't figure out who the signature is from, a comparable quote would basically be worthless do to the fact that it may not be ( kyd ) if you can open the question to all experts it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi~
Certainly.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora