Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I live in a coop in NYC and our lobby has a large mahogany?? table that has been there

Customer Question

Hi I live in a coop in NYC and our lobby has a large mahogany?? table that has been there from 1912 when the building was built. There are historical photos of it. What would it be worth ball park figure?
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here are two photos
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! This is Robert here, thanks for asking me about this magnificent table, I would be happy to help. It's a particularly fine example of Victorian "historical revival" furniture, in this case, a Renaissance or baroque style with crossover elements of classical ornament.It would be described as a monumental highly carved oak or walnut refectory table, circa last quarter 19th century, in the Italian Renaissance style, the rectangular top with a bead-and-reel edge, and carved Tudor rose on the frieze, on a trestle base having massive carved scrolled and paw footed supports flanking a pair of Ionic columns, fluted and of square section, and raised on a conforming H-form stretcher plinth. If you were to see this table for sale in an antique store in New York it would have a full retail price of about $12,000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.If it were consigned for sale at a top antique auction house it would fetch in the range of $4000 - $6000.I do hope this helps!Best wishes,Robert PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask.If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button or the stars) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.Many thanks. Robert.