Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

My gramma passed away and left me a painting. It was our secret

Customer Question

My gramma passed away and left me a painting. It was our secret joke that a master was painted underneath because it was so ugly. It was brought to America from Austria during the Kaiser Wilhelm era. The picture is of a Dutch sailing ship on the shore with a dutch couple standing in the sand. In the distance are other dutch people on the sand and 3 other sailing ships heading away. I cannot see a signature but it is still in its original old guilt gesso frame.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Can you post a photo of this?1.Click the paperclip icon2.Click the Browse icon3.Click the Browse button4.Select your file and click Open5.Click OK6.Click Insert7.Click Save Changes on this pagehttp://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need to take a photo of it. I am not there right now. I will do it tomorrow. thank you.

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tesa,
No problem, at your convenience.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will be working there tomorrow. Will send you the pictures then Thank you.

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
Is this painted on canvas, board etc? Please tell me the size.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is 14 1/2 by 17 1/2 inches. That does not include the frame. Also, I believe there is at least another inch at each end where it is hidden by the frame. It is painted on canvas. Here are some pictures of the back. You can see where the painting is attached to the frame.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I am just making sure that you received the most recent pictures and measurement information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can you please let me know if you received the information that I sent you regarding the size and material. Thank you.

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 years ago.
This is Dutch oil on canvas late 19th century circa 1880-1900. Similar paintings in age, style, quality, size and subject matter are selling for $300-500 at auction and insurance value is $1000.
Thank you,