Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

We have a tea set marked Walker & Hall Silver Cutlers & Silver

Customer Question

We have a tea set marked Walker & Hall Silver Cutlers & Silver Smiths, Sheffield. The Flag bi-secting the names is stamped W&H. The letters CL/a and HH/E look as if they were etched by a small pointed instrument.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
If you want me to value your set, you need to send me some photos.
I need a least one of the full set. Please be sure not to include the tray unless you want it assessed with the rest of the set.
Then I need a photo of the marks on the bottom.
You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the mark and take a photo of the sketch,
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link you see on your reply page.
If it is not there then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com. Use the following instructions:
Go to http://www.imgur.com.
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we are more interested in knowing the history of the set, and when it was made, than in value. However will send photographs.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I'll have a better chance of dating it if I see the marks.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, the file size was too large. I'll attach the marks now.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you the photo. I need to match it up.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Since there no date letter - either English or Greek - your set was made after 1959. That fact and the period of the mark you have, we can determine that your set was made in the early 1960s.
The 15 is a piece style ID.
The other marks scratched in were etched into the plated silver as inventory ID marks by a former owner, a shop keeper or an auction house.
Since you mention that you are more interested in history rather than value and since I do not have a photo of the set, I just gave you the history.
If you wish approximate value, please let me know.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty or site charges - both are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.
Kind regards.
Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris