Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a belt buckle which was purported to be a WWI German…

Customer Question
I have a belt buckle...
I have a belt buckle which was purported to be a WWI German Luftwaffe belt buckle. It is made of brass or similar heavy metal. It is slightly curved and measures 3 1/8 inches by 1 13/16 inches. the phrase "Bier Uber Alles Luftwaffe" appears at the top, and there is an image of a Fokker Dr 1 triplane (introduced in 1917) in the middle, viewed from a 45 degree angle of the right front. The plane bears markings of the narrow Cross Patee used between 1916 and early 1918 on the tail and top wing. There is a twisted ropelike border detail around the entire front edge. On the back, the clasp is held onto the buckle by what I would describe as four pointed rivets. The back of the buckle is etched entirely with fine horizontal lines. There are no other markings. I have not been able to find an example of an "air force" belt buckle anywhere. I was initially concerned about the Luftwaffe reference since the German air force was referred to as "Luftstreitkrafte" which supposedly translates closely to "Air Force" prior to 1935, but in my research I found a book written and published in 1918 titled Die Luftwaffe 1918, so the Luftwaffe name, which supposedly translates more closely to "Air Weapon" must have been in use at the time as well. Any help or additional research suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
7/2/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send an image of the backside of this belt buckle.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Hi , Thank you for the image. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Hi There,
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Antique Expert: Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi, My name is***** will do my best to help. Unfortunately this belt buckle is not German Military nor is it from the correct time period. This is a much too modern manufacturing process (riveted steel clasp). Imperial German Military usually featured an eagle or the Imperial Crown not aircraft. Most also featured the words Gott Mitt Uns (translates to “God With Us”). I would estimate the age of this buckle to be 50 years or less. This belt buckle unfortunately has little value. Sorry I did not have better news for you.