Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My friend moved and left me with two hand carved chinese arm…

Customer Question
My friend moved and left...
My friend moved and left me with two hand carved chinese arm chairs. They are very intricately carved, handmade and have a reddish tone to the wood. I would like to sell them but I don't know where to start. Any advice?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
7/1/2015
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
This is a reproduction of a Mandarin Chinese master chair made of cypress wood from the late 1700's. These chairs are being made in Shaghai and in Thailand even now and aged to look like antiques. I do think yours were made around 1890-1910. These chairs have a value of $1200.00 each
Thank you. Do you have any suggestions about how I should go about selling them?
The best thing to do in your case is to contact an antiques auction that also has an online presence (invaluable.com and/or liveauctioneers.com). You can go on either of these websites and do searches by zip code, region so that you could find one nearest to you (pick the largest city near you for best prices at auction) . If you consign, they will take it away for you and handle everything. This will cost a 10-20% commission off of the check that they would send you 14 to 45 days after the auction.