Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a very large Grandfather clock. It stands about

Customer Question
hello, I have a very large...
hello,
I have a very large Grandfather clock. It stands about 8 feet tall and I think is made of English Oak. The name Benetfink and Co Ltd London. EC is written on the clock face. It has a smaller second hand and chimes can be either Westminster or Whittington. It also has a moon phase. So there are three large weights to drive the cogs and I wind it once a week.
The face itself is very ornate and the timber casing also with lots of carving. I generally run the chimes about once a month. It is in very good order.
thank you
Fiona
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 2 days by:
7/3/2015
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Are you looking for a retail value, for insurance purposes, or a possible resale value? (As a note, there is a big difference between the two for these clocks--dealers with a fixed location and endless time, who know their clientele, can charge triple or quadruple what the typical owner-at-home could get by auction, classified, or consignment.)Jennifer
I am looking at selling it soon so want to know how much I could get for it. I am not sure where or how to advertise it and I realise that dealers would always offer me less than what they would want to get for it.
It has featured in an Antiques magazine so maybe that would be a good place to advertise it.
thank you
hello,
Are you able to give me an estimate of what the clock is worth? I can send more photos if you want.
thank you
Fiona
I am not available to do research on the weekends but will have an answer for you first thing tomorrow.
Jennifer
My apologies for the delay.
Unfortunately, the resale value on these clocks is not very high, and goes down all the time. Dealers can charge very good prices for select clocks, because they have the ability to pick and choose, and store the clocks for the right clientele. When an individual is trying to sell, limited to the local market and economy in a short time frame, it becomes harder.
In general, fewer and fewer people have the space or design aesthetic for these clocks. Yours is an extremely large example, which makes it more difficult--transportation is hard, and again it requires more space and attention in a room than most current styles will allow.
Benetfink & Co was a London retailer right around the turn of the century. They had a facility in Paris which made clocks for their Cheapside store, as well as other small decorative items.
Expected resale, at auction or by classified, would be in the range of $1500-$2000.
Sincerely,
Jennifer