Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I bought a set of silver spoons. They are market J 1480. There

Customer Question

I bought a set of silver spoons. They are market J 1480. There are six of them in the box. I would like to know what they are made of and value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send clear, in-focus close-up photos of the mark and the box.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

file:///Users/marlenecook/Desktop/Spoon%20Mark%202.pdf

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for the image of the mark. Do you have a photo of the box the set came in? ~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

file:///Users/marlenecook/Desktop/Spoon%20Box.pdf

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi Marlene,
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What seems to be the problem?

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I am not able to make a match to a maker name or company based on the mark on these, and so I opted-out to open your question again to all the experts - as someone else may recognize the mark.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you re-post this? I never received an answer.

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Yes, your question is open and visible to all the experts. If someone knows the answer, you will receive a response here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't think you reposted as I have not received a response. Please repost.

Thank You1

Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Your question has been visible to all the experts the entire time since I opted-out.
If someone knows the answer they will post a response here.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

One of my specialties is silver items.

Thank you for all the photos.

Please allow me time to study your photos, research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

Kind regards,

Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Please send me one more photo.

One of the inside lid of the box.

Kind regards,

Doris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry i am out of town but there is nothing written in the inside of the lid. i hope you can evaluate all the other pictures.

Thanks

Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. It is Sunday here and I was away from my computer this morning.

The maker/retailer of your spoons was R M Jordan & Co of Providence RI. This firm was in business in the 1940s.
They are sterling (925).
The numbers1480 are either inventory numbers or pattern numbers for the firm. The look of these spoons is even 1940s.

My research and experience indicate they have have a retail vintage store value of $270-300 assuming excellent condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris