Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I purchased a trunk of items from an estate sale at a mansion

Customer Question
in northern California, one of...
I purchased a trunk of items from an estate sale at a mansion in northern California, one of the items in the trunk was what appeared to be just a piece of glass with an image of The Mona Lisa, but when I picked it up the glue holding the backing came off and in-between the backing and the glass was a piece of wood with a beautiful painting of a woman. The date says 1610 or 1611. The first initial looks like 'S' and last may be 'L' but I cannot make out the rest. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Her clothing is appropriate for this era and considering the other items I bought it does not surprise me this was there but I need help identifying this artist if possible. Thanks. I have photos I can send.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/27/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos of the painting from different angles in the light and more close-ups of the signature from different angles as well as a photo of the backside of this painting.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Thank you,
The painting is 6.25" Wide and 8" Tall. I am attaching additional photos as well.
The back of the wood has Chamfered edges.
Is there another way to send you images, every time I attach it says there is an error and I am very familiar with sending images.
Sincerely,
I have sent successfully 6 photos, I am anxious to hear back from you. Thank you for taking the task and I hope you can help.Kind Regards,
Rebecca Richards
Hi Rebecca,
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Hi There,
I am not able to decipher the signature for you on this 19th century painting (not 17th century).
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Nora is correct, this is a 19th century portrait, not 17th century.Is it possible to send a very tight close-up of the signature, fitting just the signature into the frame with as little as possible space around it? I have software that may help me reconstruct it.Jennifer
It is very hard to get an unclose photo, please let me know if these help. The date can either be 1811 or 1611, perhaps your software can look at the date as well. The clothing and shoes in the trunk were from the early 1700's but it was a 'family trunk and could have contained multiple women's items. I retired from historical costumes for Universal Studios after 20 years and I am certain as to the clothing in the trunk just not the painting. I can see the faint line of a hat which would lead me to believe the 1811 date. I hope you can figure out the signature. Kind regards. Rebecca
IMG_9518.jpgIMG_9518.jpgIMG_9517.jpgIMG_9517.jpgIMG_9515.jpgIMG_9515.jpgIMG_9513.jpgIMG_9513.jpgIMG_9516.jpgIMG_9516.jpg
It's definitely 18, not 16. And the other digits may not be 1s, they could be 7s or other digits, as the painter had a sort of "crunched" style to his numbers/letters. My instinct is that this is later 19th century, not 1811, although it's possible.
Unfortunately, I can't make out the artist's name.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur