Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a doll that belonged to my grandmother who was born

Customer Question

I have a doll that belonged to my grandmother who was born in 1883. I think that makes the doll at least 120 years old. For decades the doll was in parts in a pillow case in my grandmother's dresser drawar. In the 1960s grandma gave me the doll in pieces. I had her professionally restrung and had minor repair done to her toes and fingers. The doll is dark coloured, bisque and approximately 26" tall. We had a photo of her and my aunt was able to dress her as closely as she appeared as possible. Markings on the back of her head seem to be SH1079-10 DEP. I would like some history of this doll.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Hello,From the marks on the back, I can tell you that this is a circa 1890 Simon and Halbig German doll number 1079. The doll was sold by Fleishmann and Bloedel in their France location based on the DEP10 marking which is that of Fleishmann and Bloedell. This means that she has a Simon and Halbig head and a Bloedel body, which is common. She has a value of $800.00 to $1000.00.