Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have many drawings from lewis d. Johnson, I believe most…

Customer Question
I have many drawings from...
I have many drawings from lewis d. Johnson, I believe most are pencil or charcoal ( I am not an artist so I am not sure). He was married to my great great aunt Neva. I know he trained in France and other parts of Europe. He traveled with the Wild West Show and I have a drawing that is of Kit Carson's gun which is apparently what he used to draw another picture as it has writings on it as though he used it to draw another one. He also did the cover of a book about the horse, Seabiscuit by B.K. Beckwith (which i have). There was a watercolor on ebay which I contacted the seller and she said she bought it in new jersey. Also a man contacted me and said his grandfather had worked for the Wild West Show as a transporter and acquired a drawing of Johnsons and with it the signature of Wild Bill Cody.Born in New York on August 14, 1866. By 1925 Johnson had settled in Pasadena where he was in the art department of the Star News for many years. He died there on August 5, 1942.
I realize that it is difficult to put a price on these items, but wonder if there could be any value or interest in these?
Thanks,
Sandy XXXXXXXXXXXX
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
6/27/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora