Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Greetings! I have obtained a gate leg table which has a tag

Customer Question

Greetings! I have obtained a gate leg table which has a tag underneath which reads, "Oak Gateleg table from Eng. 1690's." This table has 4 gated legs and could easily seat 8. It's patina is almost black. The table top is slightly oval. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I have no idea how to care for it or what to do next. One I got it safely in the house, we just walk around cooing at it. Frightened to move it further as it has a few splits at the feet. I would suppose having it appraised would be the next step. Would anyone be interested in seeing pictures?
Thank you very much,
Allison Snell
West Chicago, IL
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Would it be possible to post a photo of the underside of the table, so I can see the construction?Jennifer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Jennifer,
I am delighted to meet you. I hope you will find an appropriate image here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7skt0ojtvft2f5c/AACphG_2_-1wAj0dR2ojozg1a?dl=0Thank you - Allison
I have some concerns about the construction, wood, and finish being from the late 17th or even early 18th century.
However, I'm not so convinced that I want to make that statement. I'm going to re-open this question so it can be seen by all the other appraisers.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** free to share the dropbox link. Could please have a recommendation for a reputable antique group in DuPage County, Illinois. I don't feel comfortable transporting the table.Thank you for your time.
Allison Snell
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello JM,
Could you please bump your referral of this question? I would also appreciate a referral to Antique Expert Appraisers in our area of the Western Suburbs of Chicago - DuPage County. Is there a reliable listing resource available?
Thank you.
Allison Snell