Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a picture from 1988 Summer Olympics from Korea. It's

Customer Question

I have a picture from 1988 Summer Olympics from Korea. It's more of a shadow box with 88 little Korean looking masks in it. It's a numbered piece, 3811 of 19,880.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. You have what are known as miniature Hahoe types of traditional Korean masks, called "tal." The masks range from fairly realistic to outlandish and monstrous. Some are large, exaggerated circles. Others are oval, or even triangular, with long and pointed chins. All were used mostly in forms of folk dance and festivals, and for the Olympics, many sets such as you have were sold as national souvenirs. Unfortunately, the market value today isn't as much as during the Olympics, sorry--most sets such as yours retail today from $350 to $550, well down from the peak in the early 1990s of around $2,500 for a full set. If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.Have a blessed day!With kind regards,Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve, thanks for the quick response. I meant to send a couple pictures but didn't attachment them. Here is two pictures of the shadow box I have.Dennis T.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Thank you...that is exactly what I was thinking you had!