Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a Erphila art pottery jug with lid about 12 inches high

Customer Question

I have a Erphila art pottery jug with lid about 12 inches high painted of three men at a table one playing an instrument. They look like they are dressed from the renaissance era. What could it be worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Erphila jug.Does the artwork look like this one?http://i.imgur.com/IDZde2e.jpgAnd does it say "Erphila Czechoslovakia" on the bottom?Many thanks and wait to hear,Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that is the one. Just curious what is the value?
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for confirming that. Glad we've nailed which one it is.This neat old biscuit barrel or cookie jar with the Three Musketeers was produced by Erphila in the 1930s and possibly as late as the 1950s.Erphila were an importer/ manufacturer based in Philadelphia. In fact the name is ***** ***** ER+Phila where the 'ER' stands for Ebeling & Reuss + Philadelphia. They had most of their decorative china made abroad in Germany or Czechoslovakia and this biscuit barrel was a deliberate attempt to undersell a very similar one made by Royal Doulton. Though cheap at the time, they were not cheaply made, this decal transfer printed and hand airbrushed decoration is laborious and not that easy to do.Erphila still have a modest following of collector interest and, perhaps increasingly so, so does Czechoslovakian art pottery.This piece usually sells at auction or on line (eBay, etc) in the range of $50 - $80.It therefore has a full retail or replacement value of $160 and is what you should insure it for.I do hope this helps!Best wishesRobert PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the smiley faces or the "Accept" button or the stars) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Many thanks. R