Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a letter written by Queen Victoria to her cousin dated…

Customer Question
I have a letter written...
I have a letter written by Queen Victoria to her cousin dated 1883 on her own stationary and her personal signature. My husband came back from World War 2 with it. He was doing sentry duty on site and found it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/24/2015
Antique Expert: P.A.A.S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
P.A.A.S.
P.A.A.S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Queen Victoria's signature, autograph, and signed letters are available for collectors today because the pioneering monarch had such a long reign - 64 years (1837-1901) - and was required to sign many official documents during this long period. Queen Victoria reigned over an England emerging from a rural agriculture base to a manufacturing economy. She became queen after a succession of kings who were not known for positive reigns.
Queen Victoria's autographs and signatures are not usually found separate from documents or letters. She clearly did not give her autograph or signature to admirers who were waiting to meet her, but she was responsive to her subjects, who contacted her to discuss many different subjects.
Queen Victoria's signed letters are usually completely in her hand and are more in the form of notes, frequently signed "VRI" or written in the third person beginning "The Queen."
Having this letter and autograph examined and authenticated by a third party autograph authentication company would add some additional value to the piece.
Being that the letter is addressed to her cousin would also add some additional value, based upon condition, the year and contents for the letter the value would be $1000-$1500. The value of Royal family and historical autographs are constantly increasing so I believe it will continue to increase in value.
Thank you for your question and if any additional information is needed ,please ask for me.
Michael Frost Customer
I am following up with you to thank you for using our on-line appraisal service. I hope that I was of help to you with the answer to your question. I look forward to working with you again in the future.
If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to let me know. If there is any additional information needed with my answer please feel free communicating this to me ( with reply to expert button ) I am here to help.
A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answer your question, then I am compensated for my Answer and examination, at no additional cost to the you. I work hard and do as much research as possible to get you the proper and a professional answer.
Thank you so much!
If you care to work with me on any additional questions or receive additional information, you may request me by adding (Customer) in your question.
Thank you.
Michael Frost Customer
I am sorry I have not heard back from you as of yet. I hope you were happy with the service and the information provided.
Thank you so much!
Thank you.
Michael Frost Customer