Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Japanese figurine that stands 12" and is of a older…

Customer Question
I have a Japanese figurine...
I have a Japanese figurine that stands 12" and is of a older man dressed in a beautiful robe... I believe my father brought it home from the war and gave it to my grandmother. It has been in the family ever since. Do you have somewhere I can send you a pic so you can see him?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2015
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
This is a Japanese Kutani moriage figurine that represents one of the seven Gods of Fortune/Immortals/Shichi Fukujin. This one is Fukurokuju, the God of happiness, wealth and longevity. This was made in the 1930's.Moriage is a special type of raised decoration used on some Japanese pottery. The clay was squeezed from a tube in the way we apply cake frosting. Moriage pieces were often unmarked and were known for their highly stylized decorations and gilding.This figurine has a value of 80.00 to 100.00 us dollars.
Thank you for your quick response , I had no idea of the value of this piece, it has been sitting on a shelf in my moms house for my whole life. And thank you for its background, again I had no clue.
You are so welcome.Let's close this question by having you click the stars. If you'd like to assess anything else, start a new question and put 'forCustomeramp;#39; so that you could get me again.