Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Neil Armstrong autograph that he signed on the white…

Customer Question
I have a Neil Armstrong...
I have a Neil Armstrong autograph that he signed on the white felt surface of the frame. Some of his signature does cross over onto the photograph, but very little. It was given to me by an old friend of my Father's, Rooster Andrews who supplied UT and all the rest of the Texas sport teams their gear in the late 50's to his passing in the 90's. It is signed to me with this inscription; "To Jay Podolnick, I hope you take advantage of the opportunities this world offers"
I'm having health issues so I'm letting a lot of my childhood memorabilia. John Wayne stuff, Jerry Louis, LBJ and other items.
I've seen sites that show the counterfeits, and I see them going for little to nothing with some going for much more. Since it is signed to me, I imagine it is probably in the range of $1,700-$2,500. I would like an opinion. How shall I go about doing this?
Kindest regards,
Jay Podolnick
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/23/2015
Antique Expert: P.A.A.S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
P.A.A.S.
P.A.A.S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Great piece of memorabilia, Neil Armstrong is one of the most desirables autographs of all the astronauts. His value as increased and will continue to increase over the years. Via scan your items looks to be 100% authentic and don't believe the inscription or personalization hurts the value. This is a great and rare inscription by Neil Armstrong.
I think you are best consigning this autograph to a credible auction house for the best in value. These days ebay is only getting $1000 -$1200 for this type of autographed item. The true value would be closer to $2000 in today's market. I feel although we know the item is authentic adding a third party autograph authentication well only increase the value plus make the item easier to sell,
I could also recommend calling autograph dealers John Reznikoff -***-***-**** or The Raab Collection(###) ###-#### ***** auctions I would recommend R& R Auctions(###) ###-#### ***** Auction(###) ###-####or Bid Ami Auctions.***-***-****.
Thank you for sharing such a great historical piece of memorabilia. If you would need any additional information ,please just ask for me.
Michael Frost
P.A.A.S.
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Just Answer contacted me because you asked for another professional.
I will research for you but it may take a couple of hours.
I thank you for your patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
Thank you-:)
I am following up with you to thank you for using our on-line appraisal service. I hope that I was of help to you with the answer to your question. I look forward to working with you again in the future.
If I can be of any further assistance, please feel free to let me know. If there is any additional information needed with my answer please feel free communicating this to me ( with reply to expert button ) I am here to help.
A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answer your question, then I am compensated for my Answer and examination, at no additional cost to the you. I work hard and do as much research as possible to get you the proper and a professional answer.
Thank you so much!
If you care to work with me on any additional questions or receive additional information, you may request me by adding ( P.A.A.S. ) in your question.
Thank you.
Michael Frost
P.A.A.S.