Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have 2 painting sign from David Gershuni

Customer Question
I have 2 painting sign...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/23/2015
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 2 years ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Please tell me the dimensions of your paintings not including the framing.
I also need the subject matter and medium - oil, watercolor, etc.
Kind regards,
Doris
Pikes Mountain, Colorado is 25" x 16" oilAnother oil painting is 26" x 20". This is a picture of mountains, trees and maybe a creek?These pictures we given to my grandmother in lieu of rent from David Gershuni
I am not sure if they are oil or water, but to me, they look like they are oil
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
Kind regards,
Doris
I hit call by mistake. I will wait for your answer. Thank you so much for your time
Thank you for letting me know.
I should be back within 30 minutes.
Kind regards,
Doris
David Gershuni
"Born in Russia on Aug. 1, 1912. Gershuni was a resident of NYC in 1930. He later settled in Los Angeles where he was active in the local art scene and taught art to seniors. He died there on Aug. 28, 1984. Exh: Armory Show (Chicago), 1932; Salons of America, 1934; Stover Gallery (Pasadena), 1950."
Source: E***** *****, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
He died in 1984.
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
I did locate one current retail price as well.
Auction results:
23.5 x 36" - Kodner Galleries - 6.20.12 - $200
36 x 24" - Aspire Auctions - 12.15.11 - $242
26 x 35" - Clark Cierlak - 7.17.05 - $150
Retail result:
9" x 6.125" - currently for sale - $500
Adjusting for size and understanding that retail art galleries ofter double or triple or more auction sales prices, the retail value of you 25 x 16" painting would be $800-1000. The retail gallery price on your 26 x 20" would be $900-1100.
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser