Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a sterling silver child's porringer, marked Theodore

Customer Question

I have a sterling silver child's porringer, marked Theodore B. Starr, New York the numbers A 475 and three silver marks. and faintly scratched in the number ??477. Bordering the
top of the bowl are inch wide decorative signs of the zodiac. This was given to my father
when he was small. He would be about one hundred and twenty years old at this time, or
older.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your porringer, it sounds most interesting.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the marks."Theodore B. Starr" were both a retailer and a maker of silver. However, the additional marks may indicate this is an early Gorham piece (they did a zodiac series) which would make it rarer and more valuable, but I'll be able to tell for sure only when I see the three silver marks you mentioned.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm unable to e-mail you the photos of the silver marks...very frustrating.! Georgene
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Georgene, I'm so sorry you are having problems emailing the photos.Here's a really simple way to get pictures to me instantly by uploading them to a free public picture hosting site. The one I like to use is imgur.com.Just three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done:Go to: http://imgur.com(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it too complicated)Click on "Upload Images"Click on "Browse Your Computer"Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.Hit "open".Click on "Start Upload" (and wait few seconds pictures to load)And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx and it's located right under where it says Image Linkand paste it here where you are typing to me.(If you have uploaded multiple photos on one Imgur.com link, copy the URL in the browser bar at the top of your screen, otherwise I get just one photo).Hope this helps!Robert