Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a scrap book pertaining to Edwin Booth that expands…

Customer Question
I have a scrap book...
I have a scrap book pertaining to Edwin Booth that expands from 1848 until his death in 1892. Has original playbills and consist mostly of news paper reviews while performing abroad. Nothing about John Wilkes or Lincoln. What do i need to do to prepare and offer it for sale?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/23/2015
Antique Expert: Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert replied 3 years ago
Kim D., Certified Appraiser & Antiques Expert
Hello. My name is***** and I am a certified appraiser with 25 years in a museum and in the field much it with museum quality material. I am happy to help as this is a highly interesting book.
Was one of your family members a theater enthusiast? Who owned this and put it together?
Edwin Booth was quite a star in his day - his connection to his brothers act was heart breaking and very unfortunate for him and all involved. I know his father and his theater history well.
What is the condition and is there any mold, loss or issues with adhesive damage or loss in its care over time or how it was put together?
I look forward to learning more,
There is no mold. There is no damage. It is in good condition. It consist mostly of news paper articles from the countries which he performed. There are numerous telegrams and one hand written letter, but unfortunately not signed. Also, correspondence thru news paper while abroad. This was auctioned off by Sotherby's in the early 90's, purchased by a friend and i obtained it early 2000's.
The playbills are in perfect condition!!
This is wonderful. I don't see the original sale but prices in the early 90s were and are quite different than today. I would be gauging this on the fair market value today in the last few years. (This is what you are expecting and looking for correct?)
Do you know what the sale prices were? Did you purchase this?
I need to do some research and return later today but can you tell me if all the items are secured into the book with adhesive or are they loose.
How many playbills and how many pages are in the scrapbook?
Do you have any images to share just to give me a sense of the whole?
Newspapers get very brittle so I am wondering how they preserved these - mounted in an original early scrapbook or is this a collection gathered together.
You can attach images with the paper clip icon and it will guide you through sharing something.
Or if that doesn't seem to work we do have email options. But try this first.
Tell me more of the number of pages and number or original letters..images again would help.
I will give you an idea of price range but this is tricky with this much nice material - no signatures is key too.
Look forward to learning more.
I do not know the purchase price. Its been several years since i have looked at it and never as closely as this morning. There are over 100 pages with articles adhered to the pages and numerous articles not adhered. It appears to have belonged to someone who had a love for shakespearion actors. I was incorrect. The articles from abroad pertained to the Hungarian actor Maurice Neville . So the book follows both careers. I am communicating thru my android phone and do have pictures for you, but the only way i know how is thru e-mail.
The images would be key here so anything you can send is good.
It would be helpful to know how much is Booth and how much is Neville as well, this is a new twist too and changes value somewhat.
Send images to:
***@******.***
"Kim D. in antiques" in the subject line will help the support team find me.
Thanks! ***** note how many playbills are in the book (these Edwin Booth examples are 50-75.00 each in good condition - adhered to a scrapbook is another issue so the way these are in the book is helpful to know) Look forward to learning more. :)
There are three Booth playbills adhered to the paper and seven Neville adhered. I am sending images thru e-mail. Thank you.
Thank you. No rush. I will be in and out tomorrow.
The images can take time and sometimes don't attach so give it a try and if it doesn't work we will look to a free photo sharing site online. (www.imgur.com)
Phone images can be an issue so lets see what happens and if you can put these on a computer it may work better.
Kim
Were you able to recieve any images?
No nothing has arrived. I apologize.
You may need to do this on a free site like imgur.com where you can post an album of images of any number. Just put the image or images on the site (no membership or subscription) and create a link that you can post here so I can retrieve the images..
Kim
Hello - I hope that I haven't lost you and that you are only working on images. I am still here to help.
I'm sorry I've been under the weather. I will try to get the images on that site soon. Thank you.
No problem. No rush just wanted you to know that I am still here for you when you return.
The link to the edwin booth album on imgur is http//imgur.com/a/UOFcf
We are having some email issues and I am not getting your responses. I apologize. I need to return later tonight to respond as I just saw this..the question had closed entirely as well so this post just came through as something that I could write on.
Thank you for your patience.
I look forward to taking a look.
Thank you for waiting. The images are quite helpful and this is a wonderful scrapbook of early period and late 19th century clippings (rag paper clippings are in great shape and do place these as an earlier period - acidic materials of course are later in the late 19th century) and original playbills, which are of significance. In fact, original Edwin Booth playbills depending on their condition and the play currently sell in the range (fair market value) 425.00-600.00 (USD) each (unattached to a book) at a major historical auction.
The fact, that they are secured in a scrapbook is a concern as these of course would be placed in another market but their fairly good shape and situation as a whole collection is quite interesting to a collector.
Much of the material does look to be secondary, rather than primary, resources which also does impact value. Yet the subject is significant and rare to collectors looking for major buys from the period. Booth card photographs are seen here and there yet a scrapbook such as this rarely comes to market.
Looking across the Historic Americana markets this particularly large over 100 page book (remember the acidic nature of some of the material, secondary resource newspaper and book/magazine materials) including the additional material about Neville and other Victorian actors, would have a current fair market value based on the high end auction market in the range of 3***-**-****.00 (USD) currently in 2015.
I am sure that you were expecting more - as did, I - yet I want to provide you with reasonable expectations based on the market data and current sales information. I pride myself on not inflating my patrons numbers just for good customer ratings as I truly want to provide excellent and ethical assistance.
This would sell best in a major house focused on Historic Americana such as Christies (NY, London, etc.), Heritage Auctions (Dallas, CA, NY), Cowans (OH), Garths (OH, MO) or even Julians (CA) where the finest collections related to Entertainment history are sold.
I would encourage you to call each and see what suits you - this is a collection that needs to be seen at auction where the best collectors market looks for, and pay high prices for, museum quality collections such as this. I fully would expect that at a Julians or Christies the auction fever would push this higher but at least you know the base level of its true fair market value.
All my best and do be in touch if you have other items of interest! I would love to talk to you again.
Take care,
PS Please do return with any comments even after the rating. I am always here for you..my excellent ratings are base on my interest and care of my patrons! Thank you in advance for your kind follow up too. :)
Hello - I am following up to see if you have further concerns, questions or comments. I was so looking forward to talking to you about this and I am alway concerned when I dont here anything back from my patrons.
Please let me know your thoughts..any additional needs (addresses to specific venues of sale?) or where you are located and we can find the best option for your location (although I do think this is an exceptional item that should go to major centers of collectors for the best sale price.
talk to you soon...
Kim