Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a James Pollard oil painting that was my great grandfathers and I'm curious…

Customer Question
Hi I have a James...
Hi I have a James Pollard oil painting that was my great grandfathers and I'm curious to know how much it might be worth. There's a newspaper clipping on the back of the painting from the London times from " the sales room " discussing the items that were sold in the Sothebys auction February 24, 1938 where to Two James Pollard paintings were sold for £760 bought by Messrs Vicars who were the Vicars Brothers London art dealers. Nonetheless a lot of the stuff that you see on the Internet are prints that are not worth very much perhaps I could send you pictures of the painting and the back of the painting with the article.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/21/2015
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
Hello,James Pollard (British, 1792-1867) was known for coaching scenes like this one that you have. Your is an original entitled Outside Mitre Inn. This very painting (maybe it was your great grandfather) was sold at Sotheby's auction in New York on April 28th, 1977. It sold then for 1300.00 us dollars. I have a database of recent sales of his work. In 2009, his work was worth 5,000-6000. The market has softened for these pieces as recent sales (2014, 2015) have only brought 2900-3200.00. The retail value would be that later price of around 3,000, insurance/loss/replacement value of 9,000-10,000. If you keep it in the family, that price will increase again as collectors wean themselves from the mid-century modern art and go back to traditional pieces.
Thank you very much for your insightful answer greatly appreciate
You are so welcome!
Please click the stars to rate me and it will close out this question.