Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My 80 year old aunt gave me a set of century by salem

Customer Question

hello my 80 year old aunt gave me a set of century by salem 23 k gold service for 12 dishes there is a number 2 on the bottom of the bowl I am looking at now how much is this set worth and from what year would it have been made around. thank you Kathy p.s. no chips as I can tell
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Hell0,Your set of Salem China was made in Salem, Ohio in the 1950's in the Century pattern. The words 23k were used to make people think that the gold on the china was of value. This was a good marketing trick, but in truth it is just gold paint and has no melt value as gold. A service for 12 has a value 150.00 to 225.00.