Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I would like to send you a picture of an oil painting I have.

Customer Question
I know nothing about it...
I would like to send you a picture of an oil painting I have. I know nothing about it and thought you could help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/21/2015
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
Hello,I would love to help! I will need a photo of the painting, of the back, and of the signature. Please do not use a flash so that there is no glare. You can add pictures by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop.
I will opt-out of this question. It looks to be a someone's rendition of Picasso's Girl with Mandolin (though it is a guitar). I will allow another expert to step in and answer here. This is no extra cost to you.
Thank you
Antique Expert: Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Good day, my name is***** have the images you sent. I will do some research on the painting for you. What can you tell me about the painting? How did you acquire it and have you done any searching?
I inherited the painting from a friend. She passed away 3 years ago. I sent pictures to Sotheby's in New York. They said they found nothing. The lady that had it told me, when her husband bought it he bought 4 others by the same artist (the husband was from Germany). When they divorced he let her have this one. I thought she told me that the artist was from Austria. The husband has been gone for awhile now so I'm not sure about any of my information. The painting is 4ft.x4ft. I don't know if this is any help, but I hope so. My phone number is(###) ###-####
I will see what I can find for you. Knowing that Sotheby's was stumpted means it is going to be a challenge to find the artist. In the current art market the value of a painting is based on the ranking of the artist. The major auction houses will not take on a work if, in their opinion, the expected value is less than $5,000.00. So that gives you an idea of it's potential in the art market. However it a well executed work created by a skilled but unknown artist. In a gallery I would expect to see this work offered for $10,000.00 to $15,000.00. Honestly I don't care who did it, I think it is marvelous and I am sure other people will also. If I were you I would keep it!!!
Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques