Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Have an American of Martinsville dining set with the table…

Customer Question
Have an American of Martinsville...
Have an American of Martinsville dining set with the table (one leaf and the table pads), 6 chairs, 2 piece china cabinet (about 7ft. tall) and a buffet/server. Bought in the mid 60's, mostly good condition. Any idea what the value might be if I'm selling??
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/20/2015
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. Could you provide the picture of the set? Thanks
Hello Robert….I've been trying to upload the pics for quite a while and keep getting "an unknown error occurred". I'll try it again later this evening….
Ok, if it still does not work, send the pics through email:Please, send the picture to the following email address***@******.*** , They will forward the pictures to me. Please, remember to include the question link showed below in the email:http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/91dd843d4aec4cc08117b415ff04d45aThanks!
Finally, got all the pics uploaded. #91 and #101 are the table and it's legs. The dimensions are as follows --1) China cabinet and its base -- 86 X 80
2) Dining table -- 72 X 28 (one leaf 14" in pic # *****) there are 2 table pads and a separate pad for the leaf (pic # *****)
3) Buffet/Server -- 36 X 28
4) There are 6 dining chairs ( 2 with arms)…..Let me know what your estimations are….
IMG_0089.JPGIMG_0089.JPGIMG_0090_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0092_2.jpgIMG_009...jpgIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098_2.jpgIMG_009...jpgIMG_0099_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101_2.JPGIMG_010...JPG
I can only see pictures 89 and 90_2. Could you upload the picture of the table/chairs and china cabinet? It seems there could be an error in the site, because the pics were not correctly uploaded
I completed the remaining pics. Let me know if received….
IMG_0091.JPGIMG_0091.JPGIMG_0092_2.jpgIMG_009...jpgIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0093.JPGIMG_0094_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0095.JPGIMG_0096_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0097.jpgIMG_0098_2.jpgIMG_009...jpgIMG_0099_2.JPGIMG_009...JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0101_2.JPGIMG_010...JPG
I can see now the #91. If you want I can appraise the buffet server, and the rest of the pieces can be send in a new question. This will simplify all this technical problems that we are having!
I do not understand how you can only see one photo when there are clearly multiple images uploaded.
Yes, this is strange, it's the firt time that it happens to me. We can split this request in more questions or simply send the pictures through email. Is it ok for you?
I'll try my question with another antique's expert. Thxx for your time.
Ok, no problem
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
Your set was made by American Furniture Company of Martinsville, Virginia. This is considered traditional furniture and that market has softened with the popularity of 1950's style interior design. Your whole set has a retail value of 300.00-450.00 as a whole set if you were to sell it yourself or consing it to a local auction.
Your assessment is 300.00?? I believe the style is mid century modern and the items are made of walnut….
This does not really qualify as mid-century modern. It is mid-century traditional and this style is very out-of-style currently. Even though the set is made of walnut, this set does not have a value over 450.00 if you were going to sell it today. I would not be honest if I made up a high value that was not accurate. I am sorry for the disappointing news, I would love to be able to tell you it was worth 3,000, but it just is not.
Oddly one of the Just Answer experts did place its value at 3,000 - 4,500 for retail 24 hrs. ago…You're the only expert who didn't ask to see photos.
Your photos were already uploaded when I took this question, so I was able to see them before taking the question. I am again sorry that you are disappointed with the value of your set. The value of 3,000 to 4,500 is unrealistic.
Interesting….
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 years ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
Please see the values placed on Martinsville furniture currently listed for sale:
Martinsville
http://i.imgur.com/5wX5Wdi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bhDH4C6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/rhZJOL4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XgAMXx6.jpg
Please note these prices and photos represent the values placed on the quality of Martinsville furniture. The prices represent values for just one piece of Martinsville furniture. You have several.
Kind regards,
Doris
Doris, good morning….Very good info, nicely done….
Thank you.
I was the one that first appraised your set using values I found.
Kind regards,
Doris
Agreed. Hey, how do you feel about a place setting for 8 of Blue Danube tableware?? Before you ask I'm unboxing them today and will pics later today….
I will be glad to help you but you must submit the tableware as a new question. It is against JA policy to take a second new question in the same thread as another question.
Be sure to type "For Doris" at first of new question.
Kind regards,
Doris