Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a toy tin clockwork boat. I think it may be by Bing…

Customer Question
I have a toy tin...
I have a toy tin clockwork boat. I think it may be by Bing as it is not lithographed and looks hand painted, athough I can't find any makers mark. The yellow paintwork looks cracked through age and the red is not effected as the yellow. All metal no plastic.
Some damage to the rear but in overall in fantastic condition. The big question is, is it authentic or a Chinese copy. I have seen a set of 4 boats for sale (11.500) and one of them looks identical, other than that I can't find another, other that in a similar
style in manufacture. So, is it the real macoy or a copy and if it is what is it worth in the collectors market. L32cm H20cm W7cm.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
DSCF3503 (2).JPGDSCF350...JPGDSCF3519.JPGDSCF3519.JPGDSCF3508.JPGDSCF3508.JPGDSCF3515.JPGDSCF3515.JPGDSCF3524.JPGDSCF3524.JPGDSCF3526.JPGDSCF3526.JPGDSCF3533.JPGDSCF3533.JPGDSCF3534.JPGDSCF3534.JPG
6/20/2015
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello I have seen the pictures and agree with you that the unit is lithographed, however all reproductions and original tin toys are lithographed. However, the colors of the boat are not quite original, at least, with the pictures. Around the late 1970s, screened separations, long used in regular printing, begin to be used to create color on tinplate toys. In this process, the original full color image is broken down or separated into only four plates: black, magenta, cyan and yellow. By printing these four colors as tiny dots, an infinite variety of colors can be created. Green, for example, is formed by printing dots of yellow and cyan; purple by printing dots of cyan and magenta. The human eye mixes the dots in the brain and sees the single color.Under 10X magnification the distinctive dot structure of the four colored dots is easy to identify. Could you check if you can see the dot structure? Thanks
Hi, in my previous message I stated that it was NOT lithographed but hand painted, hence thinking it was made by Bing as they hand painted early toys. No dots, I was in printing myself.
Hello Oh sorry I missed that part. Ok, then everything matches except the patina. Where did you purchase the boat?
A car boot sale (garage sale).
In France
Thanks for the reply, The main issue is that the patina doesn't match. I have attached a picture of how the patina should look like. As you can see oxide has appear where there isn't paint. There exists the possibility that the paint chips of your unit were recent than the boat. However I can not see ANY of the paint chips oxidized, that's pretty strange that all the paint chips where done at the same time. The oxide could be removed, but the process will leave marks all over the paint, so oxide cleaning won't explain it.Also, the paint should appear as decolored-not so well painted as your unit. These are all the things that do not match with your boat, and that it make me think that it's not an original Bing tin toy. However, it has a value. The value will be in the range of 250-500$. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!
Hi Robert, I can’t agree with you on the patina or oxidization The aged yellow paint (enamel) has signs of cracking and if you see the first picture this boat has the same patina as mine. The second is demonstrating painting loss with no oxidization. In the third picture the green and red striping is also commensurate with my boat, this boat was made by Carette (1914) hand painted in enamel and has cracking as a sign of age as mine does. The last picture has a cover over the hull which is the same as mine. I can only conclude that if it was a replica they have gone to a lot of trouble to fake one boat. So back to square one, authentication of maker and value.
ca 49deecdc39c0f59888cde...jpgca 49de...jpgOLD TIN BOAT.JPGOLD TIN...JPGBOAT 3.jpgBOAT 3.jpg$_57.JPG$_57.JPG
Hello
I will opt out the question so another expert can come and help you with this!
Thanks
Thank anyway Robert