Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have been told my object is a sheleileigh. It is 18 inches

Customer Question

i have been told my object is a sheleileigh. It is 18 inches long. Ebony stem. Very detailed gold top handle with shield hallmark. The hallmark has a 2 atop a bell shaped, bottom pointed shield that has an s or serpent engraved in the center. Stem is slender and tapered and has gold 1/12 inch tip. Feel head is rolled gold and tip just overlay
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your shillelagh.Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the hallmarks and I'll tell you what I can about it and give you a value.Many thanks and wait to hear.Robert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank hou for your response . I am attempting to send you two pix: one to show entire object and the second to show marks and gold work. Hope this works. Cms
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the pictures.
Unfortunately they are not clear enough to read any of the marks.
Could you attach a sharper one, and one of the entire shillelagh.
Many thanks,
Robert
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.
Hallmarks are really hard to photograph, I sympathize. Here's what I do which might be of some help.
Put the shillelagh on a towel on the table and place the camera on the towel with it, that way both the camera and the object are rock steady on the table when you take the photo.
If you don't have a 'macro' setting (that's the little flower icon) pull back a little and then take the photo. I'll do the enlarging this end.
Use the strongest possible angled light.
Hope this makes sense!
Robert