Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have a tea service that belonged to my G Gran. My Grandmom

Customer Question

I have a tea service that belonged to my G Gran. My Grandmom told me it came from the east and brought it to G Gram, the man was a sailor. It is a white/grayish colour. And has the phases of the moon and the lids have chrysanthemums with yellow centers it also has what I think as Japanese writing next to the handles two black and one red characters I would love to know something about it
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done my best with the pics
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did u get pics
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u Nora I am 73 and have known these pieces all my life I want the history for my kids and grand
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Understood
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Certainly
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Could you please list here what pieces are in your tea set.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 intact cups 4plates I bowl for tea dregs I think and the pics I sent u
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
This is a late Meiji Period, circa 1890 - 1920, porcelain tea set from Japan.
The characters on it roughly translate to Dai Nippon Zao or Great Japan Made.
The decoration is hand painted and not transferprinted. It features ‘night’ scenes and moon phases against a backdrop of Mount Fuji.
On today’s market, the set would sell for a high average of $75. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $200.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora