Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

About 40 years ago, I was with my mother who was taking delivery

Customer Question
on a doll she had...
About 40 years ago, I was with my mother who was taking delivery on a doll she had ordered to complete a set (little women I think). I noticed this beautiful 20" blonde doll with brown eyes and fell in love. Joy Eason in the name of the maker. She passed at least 20 years ago, and her work is very much sought after. "Twirp" is the dolls name. The blonde hair real. The brown eyes some of the last German crafted that can be found. Her dress is cotton; hand-sewn of course, along with her bonnet and each and every piece of garment. My mother bought it for $675 - those being 1975 dollars. I'd like to know what she may be worth today. Her whole body is jointed; arms, legs, elbows, head, knees, etc. All handmade to a meticulous perfection that is just not found today.
If anyone has any knowledge or advice, please let me know. I'm not interested selling her, but I do need something to put on the insurance form. As a gift from my mother, she is priceless, but I just hope if someone there who knows more than I do would clue me in on a price in today's market.
Thanks,
James Cloud ***@******.***
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/17/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. While you indeed have a very nice doll, unfortunately the market has receded quite a bit in the past 20 years--in near flawless condition, the active retail is actually close to the original cost, $450-650 in most markets for fine examples.
For insurance replacement value, I would suggest $1,200 as she would not be easily replaced!
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Speed wasn't my main concern in getting an answer. I thought that my question would forwarded to someone who knows about dolls. I just wasn’t told anything I didn't already know. I'm disappointed.
My apology, but I read your question as "I'd like to know what she may be worth today."
Joy Eason is not listed as a recognized artisan in the current Blue Book of Dolls, which is a standard reference, or in any other notable maker guides, but I can certainly try to find out more about her, if that is your question.
Could you clarify, please?
With kind regards,
Steve
Steven-R
Steven-R