Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Vase ( purchased in Venice. The entire vase is a constant…

Customer Question
Vase (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428123508304674392/) purchased in Venice...
Vase (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428123508304674392/) purchased in Venice. The entire vase is a constant mosaic pattern, made of very small glass beads. It was made by a master glassmaker. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name, but he was old 15 years ago when I purchased the vase, and is likely no longer living. I purchased the vase in an established gallery. Some of the items were standard. Others were true works of art. The artist's son said that his father made only 20 of these vases. He tried to make nearly 2X as many, but only half were successful.
I purchased this vase because, after going to many glass showrooms in Venice, it was unlike any other. I asked the artist's son many questions about the vase and the other works in order to learn about the glass-making techniques used. The son explained the technique his father used for the vase, and why it was so difficult to make.
It's a little over 11 inches tall.
I purchased it for $600 US in 1999 (or was it 1998). The US dollar was very strong compared to the Ital***** *****ra that summer, so it was a good deal. (I saw a travel show that actually said that that was THE summer for Americans to go to Italy.) To give you an idea, I bought an all leather backpack for $60 that's retailing for $255 today (http://www.polyvore.com/italian_leather_backpack_rucksack_pechino/thing?id=51401932).
My guess is anywhere from $3000 to $5000. I haven't seen any vases like this one in the US either. They must be out there. I just haven't seen one yet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/17/2015
Antique Expert: Wayne, Auctioneer replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Auctioneer
Thank You for your question, my name is***** am a verified expert and will be working with you today. This is Venetian Murano Millefiori glass. This is still being made today. All of these pieces are unique as they are hand blown. This vase would retail for $1500 in a gallery. Here is a link to more information on the are of Millefiori.
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Millefiori
Thank you,
Wayne, Auctioneer