Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an old oak grandfather clock with pewter face. Face…

Customer Question
I have an old oak...
I have an old oak grandfather clock with pewter face. Face has roman numeral numbers . It says Chr. Delens
Preseles
Belgium on the face
Cabinet has wood pegs instead if nails. Pewter hinges
Clock comes apart. Base, body, top with movement.
How old is clock? Do you know anything about maker?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/15/2015
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help, but there is no maker by the name of "Delens" from Presles, which is an old small village of Wallonia in Belgium connected to the municipality of Aiseau-Presles. It may be that the name above the location is that of the vendor who sold the clock, as was common practice from the 17th century onwards.

With that marking, the clock is likely circa 1890-1900. Could you perhaps post a few more images and double check the spelling of the name as well?

With kind regards,
Steve