Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

How can i find an honest appraiser antiques in seacoast

Customer Question
how can i find an...
how can i find an honest appraiser for my antiques in seacoast n.h. ? There were three very well known antique dealers and auctioneers in the area that I had previously contacted to look at a wooden sculpture that i have and were given three very different prices. Needless to say I am baffled and skeptical , please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/14/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 2 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. It is not unusual for variances in estimated value of art and objects.
I would be happy to look at your sculpture for you and weigh in on an opinion.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark/signature would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Dear Nora,
I have a Bellamy Eagle. If you sent your email address I will sent detail images.
I'm sensing the files created by Vincent Harrild when he was cleaning the eagle.
DSC01322[1].JPGDSC0132...JPGDSC01323[1].JPGDSC0132...JPGDSC01325[1].JPGDSC0132...JPGDSC01326[1].JPGDSC0132...JPGDSC01327[1].JPGDSC0132...JPGDSC01328[1].JPGDSC0132...JPG
Thank you for the images.
May I know how the attribution to the maker Bellamy came about on this?
As well, when you offered this to dealers, what was the range of prices and did you try any auction houses?
~Nora
Dear Nora,
Bellamy did not signed his any arts. This item come to my family from my grand grandfather. Two experts already gave their opinion that it is Bellamy Eagle.
Even I felt funny to receive your second question, answer is between 50 - 250 K.
If you are not familiar about the Bellamy Eagle I will take my questions elsewhere.
Regards
K Ildeniz
I am very familiar with Bellamy and his work - and I am aware he did not sign his carving. My query is how this came about to be authenticated.
At this juncture, however, I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help, if I can. As you clearly are aware, John Haley Bel­lamy (1836 – 1914) worked as a wood carver in the Kit­tery, Maine area dur­ing the late 19th cen­tury and is very well known for his folk carved eagles, which sold for as little as $2 back in the day. The record, at present, for an original example was set in 2005 at auction where a large carving commanded in excess of $650,000 (most retail today more in the $85,000 to $175,000 range). They are classified as Americana folk art and do equally well in New England upscale auctions such as those conducted by Skinner and Julia's, as there is a strong regional demand even in this rather weak overall economy.
For insurance replacement, $250,000 is considered the norm for a fully restored example such as you have but unless you have a remarkable day at auction, realistically I would anticipate a hammer price of $55,000 to $95,000 in most cases--but auctions can be unpredictable, clearly, pending who attends and how well the venue is advertised.
I would suggest, if contemplating a sale, that you contact several large auction houses (including the two noted above) as well as both Sotheby's and Christie's in New York and feel them out a bit--I would likely also consider Heritage in Dallas, as it has a strong following in the folk art field as well.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve
Steven-R
Steven-R