Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Please tell me what this is or goes to. It measures 22 3/4"

Customer Question
high with the base and...
Please tell me what this is or goes to. It measures 22 3/4" high with the base and without the base 21" high. Just the base measures 1 3/4" high x 4 1/2" x 6 1/8." The bottom on the base is metal, but the top of the base seems to be cast iron. On the bottom of the base it states 551 Pat in USA Jan 18, 1921
The horn is made of metal and has a mark of 3A. The mouth of the horn measures 13" wide.
Please give me the approximate value as well and circa.
See the pictures on the following link:
http://imgur.com/a/6BZTq/all
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2015
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 2 years ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
This is called a Morning Glory horn and goes to a gramophone/phonograph (music player) made by either Edison, Columbia or Victor from 1921 to 1929. The hook attached to a crane that positioned the horn towards the listeners. Your hook has been replaced. Horns were made of brass, painted steel or tin/aluminum. Since yours is heavy, it would be painted steel.
Approx Value: $300.00
Circa: 1921-1929

I do not feel you are correct. After reading your above information I did some of my own research.Can you please take a look at what I found and try again. Thanks!

I found this and it is identical to the one I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251801954473

and it's $650

and so is this one:

http://homepage3.nifty.com/western/audio/3a/3a_E.htm

I found it under Antique Radios with this picture:

Cathy,
You are absolutely right. This is the disadvantage of working with photos on a separate website. Yesterday, I was only seeing one photo of the horn and when I just now went back it loaded the rest of the pictures. My apologies for the confusion there.

The horn that you mentioned on Ebay did not sell for the 650.00, but is worth that much if not more. I found one in another country and they are asking closer to 800.00, another older sale on a business website asks 712.00.
http://www.plantlighting.com/store/itm_230979963863.html
There is a renewed interest in restoring these pieces and this is indeed a rare find. There are not many out there for sale and the price would only increase over time even though this is a very small market of collectors.

What radios is it compatible with?

Not so much radio but amplifier. This horn has a large diaphragm and was meant for auditorium use as a loudspeaker when coupled with the WE 13C push pull amplifier or the Western Electric 7A amplifier.
Rarewares
Rarewares