Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Thomas Doney mezzotint of the older A.Lincoln. dated 1866.

Customer Question
Thomas Doney mezzotint of the...

Thomas Doney mezzotint of the older A.Lincoln. dated 1866. Came from my great grand mother who grew up in Elgin Ill. where Doney is also from. I have only found a ref. to it in a c1899 exhibit catalogue and have not found a picture of it on the web. I have sent two photos what I have. Any thoughts?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/11/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
At your convenience, please load or attach just the photo of the mezzotint here so I can move it to my desktop.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora

Nora,

I followed the steps many times and the Jpeg file went into the box but did not upload. It will not paste in this box either. Any other thoughts?

Chuck

Did you get the sheet that had information about the picture and two of the pictures on the sheet? C

Hi Chuck,
Yes, I was able to open the attached document and view that information.
However, I would be better able to assist if you can attach or send the one image of the print here as a jpg, please.
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora

I thought I did. Anyway, I tried to put the jpeg from the box that sent me to the browser and I was able to open it up but it did not upload. I tried many times and other variables of ways without uploading. Then I tried to just paste the jpeg into the note. It would not let me. Let me try again. By using this email it attached!
I also emailed them to you at the below address with your name in the "subject" just to be sure.

Chuck

Thank you for the heads-up on emailing images.
I will certainly let you know when they have arrived to me.
In the meantime, be on the look-out for a confirmation email from customer service confirming they have received your images and will forward to me.
Sincerely,
Nora
I received your images.
I have not made a match to this print.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora

Hi, See what you can find. If just not findable, go to the next step you offered and see what other experts say. Thank you. Chuck

Hi Chuck,
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Antique Expert: Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to offer assistance, following a review of the thread posted. You likely have one of the series crafted by Doney following the death of Lincoln, as several are known which were distributed to periodicals of the era. There are several variations known of Lincoln, as well as several poses of him with his family, all done post-1865.

Are you seeking a valuation? I am a bit unclear, sorry....

With kind regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

This is much larger, of course, than a periodical - approx.18" x 22". Verification of authenticity would be impossible without personally examining it. The possible value of an original is what I am seeking.

Because I can not find any replication of this particular piece or anything similar to it by Doney

and because a mezzotint listed in the Golier Club,New York, April22d. 1899, exhibition for engravings catalogue, ( see my first communication to your site), which seems to perfectly describe this picture including the inscription just below the picture, "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1866 by Thos. Doney (Engraved by T. Doney. ) in the Clerks Office of the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois ",

and because there is a quarter inch straight embossing 1 1/2 inch around the engraving

and because Doney is from Elgen, Ill. where my great-grandmother and her family lived and who handed it down eventually to me , I am thinking this is a rare original.

Therefore a valuation range is requested. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Hi Steve,

Sincerely,

Chuck

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/950rp-thomas-doney-mezzotint-older-a-lincoln-dated-1866.html?al=1&utm_source=mar&utm_medium=email&utm_content=viewabody_ln&utm_campaign=expert_fu_ppq_no_up_a&r=nme%7Cexpert_fu_ppq_no_up_a%7CDM19611%7Cln=viewabody_ln#ixzz3dpcmaOEI

Have you read my in-depth email I sent on June 17? I AM ASKING FOR A VALUATION. Have I done something wrong? The June 17th note gave a detailed history as best as I can give. Please let me know one way or the other if you are still working on this. Another issue is the survey that was prematurely sent before Nora had sent me anything back. I would like to give her another survey statement. Now, BELOW IS THE PREVIOUS NOTE from June 17.

This is much larger, of course, than a periodical - approx.18" x 22". Verification of authenticity would be impossible without personally examining it. The possible value of an original is what I am seeking. Because I can not find any replication of this particular piece or anything similar to it by Doney and because a mezzotint listed in the Golier Club,New York, April22d. 1899, exhibition for engravings catalogue, ( see my first communication to your site), which seems to perfectly describe this picture including the inscription just below the picture, "Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1866 by Thos. Doney (Engraved by T. Doney. ) in the Clerks Office of the District Court for the Northern District of Illinois ",and because there is a quarter inch straight embossing 1 1/2 inch around the engraving and because Doney is from Elgen, Ill. where my great-grandmother and her family lived and who handed it down eventually to me , I am thinking this is a rare original. Therefore a valuation range is requested. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Chuck