Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have recently been given a picture signed F F English in…

Customer Question
I have recently been given...
I have recently been given a picture signed F F English in the lower right hand corner. I know it is old, because the glass and frame it is in is old. The glass has bubbles in it. I believe it is a water color. How can I be sure it is a good painting and how can I have it appraised. I am 77 and don't have a lot of money to pay an appraiser. Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/9/2015
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 3 years ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora