Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have no information on a painting left to me by my grandmother

Customer Question

I have no information on a painting left to me by my grandmother other than is was acquired in Chicago. How do I find someone who is honest and knowledgeable about art?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The measurement is 20w by 30l. If you need more photos, please let me know...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, that was 20 in wide and 30 in long.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the dimensions and images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Nora. I've had this painting for years and never knew much, only that it belonged to my great-great grandmother who immigrated from Czech Republic(?) to Chicago in 1800's. Any info will help.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I am not able to decipher the signature with the photo here. Would be possible to try some photos of the signature from different angles and/or just a light dust off of the surface around around the signature area may reveal a little more.
Thank you,
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hope these signatures are easier to see and identify. I also added some closer shots of the canvas. The painting is in need of a cleaning.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi~
Thank you for the images, I only need signature shots please. If you can try to capture the signature in-focus without the glare or flash on the surface, that will help me to see it more, hopefully.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid this is the best I'm going to get. Sorry about quality.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I am not able to decipher the signature.
I can provide an estimate of value based on comparables
~or~
I can opt-out and open your question again to all the experts.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i need an estimate for insurance purposes...
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Understood and thank you for your patience.
You have a late 19th century, circa 1890 original oil painting of a maiden with catch of day baskets walking along a shoreline, illegibly signed and likely of European origin with newer frame.
Based on comparables, of age, style, size and subject matter, the suggested insurance or replacement value is $2500.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora