Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a painting from Iran painted on black silk it's from

Customer Question

I have a painting from Iran painted on black silk it's from the 1800's but doesn't have a signature that I can see was this common and how can I get an accurate appraisal without a signature
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a brighter view
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send more photos.
A complete image of the back (do not remove from frame) and clear, in-focus close-ups of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking this with my iPhone if needed with another camera let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The size is 33x44 excluding frame
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the image.
At your convenience, please send complete image of the back (do not remove from frame) and clear, in-focus close-ups of the painted side surface so I can see the texture.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know when you receive these next three images
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any news yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im going to take it to an actual appraiser in person, I just thought maybe you could give me an idea but maybe you can't, please respond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This may have been a total waste of time!
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
This is a reproduction of a master painting created in 1665 entitled The Infant Saint John with the Lamb by Bartolome Esteban Murillo. Here is a link to the original, you'll see that your artist took some liberties with color.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255297872597327289/
This was done in the past 50 years and though you say it is from Iran, it could not have been created in Iran. That is because this is a scene from the Bible and they have always been an Islamic country. It would have been made in a Christian country and brought to Iran. This piece has a value of 125.00.