Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I am looking to find the value of a piece of art I purchased

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking to find the value of a piece of art I purchased at an estate sale. I was reviewing the website to see if that can be done here.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
This is a print that was done in 1976 to commemorate the artist Marc Chagall and the exhibition that was held at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. The print would have been sold in the museum store. The writing on the certificate is Hebrew (Chagall was Jewish). This piece has some yellowing, you should remove any cardboard or paper backing and have it replaced with acid-free archival board. This will stop the acids from what is behind it from essentially eating the paper. This piece is worth $450-525.00.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. How do you suggest I go about selling this piece. Not sure where to do that.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
You would contact an auction house and if they accept it, then send it to them for their next appropriate auction.
Since this is a Jewish piece, sending it to Israel would give the best result. Check out this auction house and write to them.
http://www.matsartauctioneers.co.il/auctionservices.asp

If you want to keep it in the states, then these people would be good as well.
http://www.doylenewyork.com/content/show-dept.asp?dept=9

On each site, read about their terms so that you know what to expect.

If none of these pan out, then I can always keep going or find a house in your local area (hopefully).