Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an extensive collection of antique American, English

Customer Question

I have an extensive collection of antique American, English and Continental sterling I am preparing to sell. Do you recommend sending it to auction or selling it on eBay? Hard to decide if commissions or fees would be most costly in the end. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

The internet has your largest pool of buyers. I feel eBay selling prices are more wholesale than retail for silver.

You could open an internet store for free on Etsy.com.

Or open a store on the more upscale sites - GoAntiques.com or RubyLane.com.
An ad on these sites might work as well.

Silver does better at the larger auction houses like Christie's or Bonham's than it does at the smaller auction houses. Sotheby's will only take items worth over $5000.

The auction route may be easier and faster than setting up your own store but you will realize closer to retail if you sell it yourself on the internet.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty or site charges - both are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

Kind regards.

Doris
Expert:  Doris replied 2 years ago.
Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
Doris