Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Im mooving and the moving agency broke my grandfathers

Customer Question
ceramic carriage. The moving agency...
Im mooving and the moving agency broke my grandfathers ceramic carriage. The moving agency insurance company is asking me what the value is, obviously its invaluable for us but I would like to know how much would it cost to replace it. I need an appraisal!!
Im not sure if the information o this page is correct but the one we have is just like this one with different colors and a few differences (I guess because its hand made) http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/capodimonte-porcelain-horse-drawn-carriage-figural
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Antiques
6/2/2015
Antique Expert: Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 3 years ago
Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,
My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
Were there any damages to the piece before they broke it? Cracks, Chips, crazing etc?
I am assuming it had the same Capodimonte marks or are they different?
Thanks,
Frank
Your large mantle piece was produced in the very fragile, very detailed Capodimonte style of porcelain production.
A little bit of history on Capodimonte. Capodimonte began producing porcelain in Naples in the early 18th century. They would continue to produce in the 19th century before the company would go on to change hands. In the late 19th century artisan porcelain makers and pottery producers began using the Capodimonte marking on their own pieces, which was more so showing the location the items were produced in Naples as opposed to the actual Capodimonte company, hence the term Capodimonte style. In the early 20th century this began to increase in popularity and more and more artists from the area were mimicking the Capodimonte style for foreign export.
The marking you have sent is actually a decorator's marking used on a Capodimonte style piece. This decorator's marking would have been placed on the piece by the actual artist.
Onto the important stuff. Your mantle piece detailing the horses and buggy would have a replacement or insurance value of between 2000-2500USD in excellent condition.
The Capodimonte market is quite down right now, however there are still collectors out there looking for these large pieces to fit into French or Italian decorum.
I hope this information was helpful to you today.
Best of luck with your insurance claim .
Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.
Thank You,
Frank
Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.
Good Afternoon,
I wanted to follow up with you on your question.
I hope the information I left for you was helpful in your research.
If you can accept my answer and leave feedback for my service it would be very much appreciated, as this is how I am credited for my time with the company.
If you have any future questions, I would be happy to help with any antiques or collectibles you may need information for.
Thank you for your time,
Frank