Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a religious painting of a saint or nun holding a crucifix

Customer Question

I have a religious painting of a saint or nun holding a crucifix with an angel over her holding a thorn crown painted on tin. Trying to find out the time period, when and where and if it has any value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
This is a depiction of Santa Rita de Cassia (Cascia), a catholic symbol of the Patroness of Impossible Causes and the patroness of wives, widows and abused women. The original artist is unknown, but this is a reproduction of a painting that depicts her. Someone would have hung this piece in their home as a religious protection piece. This painting on tin religious symbol of Santa Rita of Cascia was made in the 1930's and has a value of 125.00.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where this came from what country?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
It would be a piece from Italy, most likely. This symbol is also popular with the Mexican culture.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how many reproductions of this particular painting were made and what part of Italy?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
This was a mass produced item for churches and came in the form of relics for the home, cards and prints to keep in the wallet. It is unknown what part of Italy this came from.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 2 years ago.
If we are finished with this question, please do click the stars for me. If you would like me again, start a new question and putCustomeras the first word.